Beyond Georgetown Day
Happy Georgetown Day and end of classes for the academic year. No two Georgetown students are the exact same, and no two Georgetown Day attitudes and agendas will be either.
Though there will undoubtedly be many on-campus extracurricular activities to participate in—or at least observe—we thought we would take this opportunity to offer a selection of off campus opportunities to supplement your plans with.
Whether you are going to party like there’s no tomorrow, or spend a memorable day with all your college friends who you will miss in the summer months while away from campus, we have a few ideas to help you piece together the perfect day, and enter finals feeling like you are living large!
- Keep your wallet and your stomach full with these lunch deals
- Keep the party going…get another taste of the DC happy hour scene
- Go do something different tonight
- Grab a late-night snack…you’ll thank yourself in the morning
Muncheez (.7mi walk from Copley Lawn)
– This is the perfect midday spot to refuel quickly. With Mediterranean wraps, salads, platters that are increasingly IDeal (generally under $8), great little snacks ($1), and vegetarian and meat lover options alike, everyone in your group can be happy
Pizzeria Paradiso (.5mi walk from Copley Lawn)
– Handcrafted pizza with an emphasis on the crust. GoCard friendly and plenty of space for you and your friends to chill out and eat, or box it up and take it on the road. Oh by the way… have you seen their extensive beer menu?
Harmony Cafe (.5mi walk from Copley Lawn)
– Traditional Chinese restaurant offering all the favorite dishes for the IDeal lunch special of $6.95, including rice, salad, and a spring roll. They keep this going until 3:30pm so even if you are having too much fun to get away from the festivities, they will still be waiting for you!
Good Stuff Eatery (.5mi walk from Copley Lawn)
– The classic burger, fries and shake, but with a farm-fresh twist! Great locally sourced ingredients make these guys stand out, and force you to give their salads a good look. Also the Lunch Bag special (burger/fries/drink) is IDeal, and available until 2:30pm.
Old Glory BBQ (.7mi walk from Copley Lawn)
– Summer is just around the corner, and when the weather gets warm, there is nothing like some good barbeque! You will find your traditional options with all the fixings, making you taste vacation a bit early. Huge plus for the solid drink menu too!
Bodega (.7mi walk from Copley Lawn)—4-7pm
– Come thru for $3 tapas to share with everyone, stay for $5 rail drinks, $6 specialty cocktails, and pitchers of sangria.
Mate (.9mi walk from Copley Lawn)—4-7pm
– Though a bit further from campus, Mate will mix up your day! $5 Maki Rolls and other Starters, $7 premium cocktails, $6 wines, and $5 draft beers. Afterwards, walk across the street and enjoy the Harbor and Waterfront for scenic views across the Potomac!
Ri Ra Irish Pub (.7mi walk from Copley Lawn)—3-6pm
– This classic Irish Pub right on M Street offers half off appetizers and select beers, as well as $5 wines. If you come with a big group, they will often times work out a special deal, so keep Ri Ra open as an option
El Centro (.6mi walk from Copley Lawn)—4-7pm
– One of the biggest happy hour menus you will find in town, El Centro has $5 beers, Margaritas, wines, and cocktails, as well as a litany of specialty cocktails, $9 sangrias, and additional $6 beers. Don’t forget…its El Centro—their food is incredible as well!
– Pinstripes is more than just your old bowling alley—they offer lanes for
bowling and bocce, and in their bistro you can get great IDeals on happy hour food and drinks, as well as find late night snacks until they close at 1am! They are a popular spot, so it may be worth making a reservation, which can be done online at their website.
o Heading out into town, or want to go somewhere different? Check out Lucky Strike in Chinatown—they have lanes, food and drinks, large projection screens to see the playoff games unfold, billiard tables, live DJ, and are open until 2am! Keep in mind they will have a dress code
– We know DC has a wealth of options to vibe with the live music scene, but save yourself a trip to U Street because just around the corner from campus, you will find Gypsy Sallys, and Piano Bar. Gypsy Sallys has The Shack Band earlier in the evening and Steve Liesman and the Mooncussers headlining as a self-described jam band…for free. Otherwise, make a stop at Piano Bar for some good ol’ fashioned sing alongs while sipping drinks at the bar.
– Maybe it is just us at Student IDeals, but who doesn’t love to go do Karaoke with a bunch of friends? Recessions Bar or Peyote Café, found under Brass Monkey, both have big bar areas with plenty of space to just show up with your squad and sing your heart out. Wok + Roll in Chinatown has good food, and private room Karaoke—call them in advance and book a room as late at 3am!
– Maybe you have been working too hard and just need to take it easy, or you have not had an opportunity to see any of the new blockbusters out right now. Just down the road from campus is the state of the art AMC Loews 14, so head over and see what’s showing.
– With a nice spring night, it is hard to not take advantage of the beauty DC has to offer, especially in the evening. If you haven’t recently, go for a night stroll by the monuments on the National Mall—take some nice photos, and create memories you won’t soon forget!
– After a day full of partying and enjoying the end of the semester, make sure you fall asleep with a full stomach. Wingo’s is a local staple, and is open until 3am.
– Located just on Wisconsin Ave, this place is open practically all night, with doors closing at 5am! Their menu includes pizza, subs, salads, and desserts—practically anything you could want, they can bring right to you or you can pick it up.
– Though not right near campus, the renowned bakery is worth the trip, or at least making a stop at on your way home. They are open until 2am on Friday night, so grab something good.
– Another great late night spot, open until 4am, this Mediterranean spot offers incredible sandwiches, plates, and other good snacks. They deliver until 10:45, so if you are out later, it is worth dropping in on your way back, or making a quick trip down M Street.
– Open until midnight, Thomas Sweets is a great ice cream parlor. They have sweet treats, coffee, and other munchies worth checking out as you wrap up your evening of fun!