Colonial Inauguration–Session 2 (June 15-16)
Eager to explore your new city beyond orientation? Student IDeals™ is here to help! We’ve got you covered from activities and events to restaurants and more.
Here’s what’s going on in DC while you’re in town:
- 6:30-8:30pm: FREE Summer Concert at the new DC Wharf
- Enjoy music by The Reflex, playing all of your favorite hits from the 80s. The concert is free and ice-cold beer will be available on-site at the bar!
- 7pm: University of the District of Columbia/Jazzalive DCJAZZPRIX Finals (Free entry)
- DCJazzPrix, a national competition, was created to recognize the finest rising jazz band talent from across the U.S.
- 5-8:30pm: National Gallery presents Jazz in the Garden
- 5-10pm: Yards Park Events DC presents DC Jazz Fest at the Yards (Free entry)
- DC Jazz Fest at the Yards is a three-day “blowout” where fans enjoy jazz at the beautiful urban, green, innovative Yards Park at the Capitol Riverfront overlooking the Anacostia River. Featuring Ola Onabule and Lori Williams.
- 6pm: Kennedy Center DC Jazz Festival presents Bass-ically Yours: TrioVera
- 11am-11pm: TRUCKEROO @ The Bullpen
- Truckeroo is a monthly festival held at The Bullpen that showcases the hottest food trucks in the DC area. Truckeroo is a family friendly event and features live music, cold drinks, games, and more.
Some More suggestions – Fun Things to do:
- Georgetown Waterfront – just a mile from GW campus: Shop, grab a bite to eat, walk along the water or even rent a paddle board/kayak!
- Renwick Gallery – located at 1661 Pennsylvania Ave NW (only 0.5 miles from Campus): check out the amazing contemporary art exhibits
- Farragut Square/McPherson Square/Franklin Square: get away from the orientation crowds for a bit and grab a bite to eat from one of the many food trucks around any of these three parks (all three within 0.5 miles of campus) Find a shady spot and have a picnic!
- National Mall: The National Mall/Lincoln Memorial is a must see – especially at night. Only 1.4 miles from campus — for sure worth the walk. If you’re feeling adventurous go on a little walk around the other various monuments/memorials around the area (Vietnam Veterans Memorial, Korean War Veterans Memorial, World War II Memorial, Washington Monument, etc.) Pro Tip: Best in the evening just as the sun is going down
- Tidal Basin: Rent paddle boats or just simply take awalk around the beautiful area– just 1.7 miles from campus. Check out surrounding monuments/memorials: Martin Luther King Jr. Memorial, Franklin Delano Roosevelt Memorial, Thomas Jefferson Memorial)
Hungry? Here’s some places to check out around GW campus:
Grab and Go Options:
- Taylor’s Gourmet: lunch/dinner
Grilled Cheese Bar: lunch/dinner
Le Pain Quotidian: Breakfast/lunch/dinner
- Wicked Waffle: breakfast/lunch
- Au Bon Pain: breakfast/lunch/dinner
Beef Steak: lunch/dinner
Burger Tap and Shake: lunch dinner
Capitol Grounds Coffee: breakfast/lunch
Sweet Green: lunch/dinner
- Whole Foods: breakfast/lunch/dinner
An Uncommon Café: breakfast/lunch
South Block: breakfast/lunch
Sit Down Restaurants:
The Hamilton: lunch/dinner
- Froggy Bottom Pub: lunch/dinner
Have fun in your new city and good luck with your freshman year!
Student IDeals™ is with you every step of the way to help you discover the college town in your city!™