Colonial Inauguration – Session 3 (June 19-20)
Eager to explore your new city beyond orientation? Student IDeals™ is here to help! We’ve got you covered from activities and events to restaurants and more.
Here’s what’s going on in DC while you’re in town:
- 6pm: DC Jazz Festival presents Bass-ically Yours: Kristopher Funn at the Kennedy Center
- 8pm: U.S. Navy Band Concert at the Capitol
- The Concert Band performs regularly on Monday evenings on the west steps of the U. S. Capitol. Sitting on the steps, audience members have the opportunity to look out at the band and have a clear view of the National Mall and the Washington Monument.
- 6pm: Toned Up Tuesdays – Free FlyBarre class at The Park at CityCenter
- This total-body sculpting class blends light weight training with core strengthening exercises to create the ultimate toning experience. FlyBarre is a fun, high-energy workout that quickly tones and strengthens muscles, concentrating on arms, core, thighs, and glutes. RSVP here!
- 6pm: Thao (of Thao & the Get Down Stay Down) at the Kennedy Center
Some More suggestions – Fun Things to do:
- Georgetown Waterfront – just a mile from GW campus: Shop, grab a bite to eat, walk along the water or even rent a paddle board/kayak!
- Renwick Gallery – located at 1661 Pennsylvania Ave NW (only 0.5 miles from Campus): check out the amazing contemporary art exhibits
- Farragut Square/McPherson Square/Franklin Square: get away from the orientation crowds for a bit and grab a bite to eat from one of the many food trucks around any of these three parks (all three within 0.5 miles of campus) Find a shady spot and have a picnic!
- National Mall: The National Mall/Lincoln Memorial is a must see – especially at night. Only 1.4 miles from campus — for sure worth the walk. If you’re feeling adventurous go on a little walk around the other various monuments/memorials around the area (Vietnam Veterans Memorial, Korean War Veterans Memorial, World War II Memorial, Washington Monument, etc.) Pro Tip: Best in the evening just as the sun is going down
- Tidal Basin: Rent paddle boats or just simply take awalk around the beautiful area– just 1.7 miles from campus. Check out surrounding monuments/memorials: Martin Luther King Jr. Memorial, Franklin Delano Roosevelt Memorial, Thomas Jefferson Memorial)
Hungry? Here’s some places to check out around GW campus:
Grab and Go Options:
- Taylor’s Gourmet: lunch/dinner
Grilled Cheese Bar: lunch/dinner
Le Pain Quotidian: Breakfast/lunch/dinner
- Wicked Waffle: breakfast/lunch
- Au Bon Pain: breakfast/lunch/dinner
Beef Steak: lunch/dinner
Burger Tap and Shake: lunch dinner
Capitol Grounds Coffee: breakfast/lunch
Sweet Green: lunch/dinner
- Whole Foods: breakfast/lunch/dinner
An Uncommon Café: breakfast/lunch
South Block: breakfast/lunch
Sit Down Restaurants:
The Hamilton: lunch/dinner
- Froggy Bottom Pub: lunch/dinner
Have fun in your new city and good luck with your freshman year!
Student IDeals™ is with you every step of the way to help you discover the college town in your city!™