Eagle Summit Session 2: June 22-23
Eager to explore your new city beyond orientation? Student IDeals™ is here to help! We’ve got you covered from activities and events to restaurants and more.
Here’s what’s going on in DC while you’re in town:
- 5:30-6:30pm: TriFit – Free Pilates @ Farragut Park
- 6pm: Kennedy Center presents You Me Them Everybody with Brandon Wetherbee
- 6:30-8:30pm: FREE Summer Concert at the new DC Wharf
- 8:45pm: FREE outdoor movie showing at Capitol Riverfront — Doctor Strange (2016) Rated PG- 13. A former neurosurgeon embarks on a journey of healing only to be drawn into the world of the mystic arts.
- 5-8:30pm: National Gallery presents Jazz in the Garden
- 6pm: Kennedy Center Will Eastman (Founder of U Street Music Hall)
- 8pm: The U.S. Air Force Concert Band performs regularly on Fridays evenings at the Air Force Memorial.
- The U.S. Marine Concert Band performs regularly on Friday evenings (8 p.m.) on the West Front of the Capitol Building. Audience members can sit on the steps and enjoy a view of the National Mall
- 7:30pm: FREE outdoor movie at Farragut Park — film begins at sunset: The Princess Bride (1987) Rated PG. A fairy tale adventure about a beautiful young woman and her one true love.
Some More suggestions – Fun Things to do:
- Georgetown Waterfront – just a few miles from AU campus: Shop, grab a bite to eat, walk along the water or even rent a paddle board/kayak!
- Renwick Gallery – located at 1661 Pennsylvania Ave NW: check out the amazing contemporary art exhibits
- Farragut Square/McPherson Square/Franklin Square: get away from the orientation crowds for a bit and grab a bite to eat from one of the many food trucks around any of these three parks. Find a shady spot and have a picnic!
- National Mall: The National Mall/Lincoln Memorial is a must see – especially at night. If you’re feeling adventurous go on a little walk around the other various monuments/memorials around the area (Vietnam Veterans Memorial, Korean War Veterans Memorial, World War II Memorial, Washington Monument, etc.) Pro Tip: Best in the evening just as the sun is going down
- Tidal Basin: Rent paddle boats or just simply take a walk around the beautiful area. Check out surrounding monuments/memorials: Martin Luther King Jr. Memorial, Franklin Delano Roosevelt Memorial, Thomas Jefferson Memorial)
Hungry? Here are some places to check out around AU campus:
Grab and Go Options:
- Robeks: smoothies, acai bowls, juices
- Le Pain Quotidien: bakery, breakfast, lunch
- Pumpernickel’s Bagelry: breakfast, lunch, pizza, bagels
- Booeymonger: salads, sandwiches, bagels, breakfast
- Pete’s New Haven Style Apizza: Italian, lunch, dinner
- Kitty O’Shea’s: lunch, dinner, bar food
- Chef Geoff’s: brunch, lunch, happy hour, dinner, dessert
- Clydes: brunch, lunch, dinner
- Sushiko: sushi, lunch, dinner, happy hour
- Cafe of India: lunch, dinner
- Crisp and Juicy: lunch, dinner
- Dolcezza: gelato, coffee
Have a great freshman year!